The September 18th lecture in the Hancock County Museum’s 2022 Summer Lecture Series will be given by Paul Zuros, and will be based on his favorite newspaper articles in the series ”History in the Hills,” that he has written about the history of our area in the upper part of the WV Northern Panhandle and in the Steubenville, OH area. The lecture starts at 2:00, and tours are available before and after the lecture. Refreshments are served in the kitchen after the lecture, which is free and open to the public, although donations are always greatly appreciated. The Hancock County Museum is located at 1008 Ridge Avenue, New Cumberland, WV. Parking is in the grass in the back of the building or in the Catholic Church parking lot next door to the south of the Museum.
Paul (PJ) Zuros was born and raised in Weirton, West Virginia. Raised by parents who were interested in history, Paul developed his love for the past early on. His interest in local history started when he volunteered with the Hancock County Museum in New Cumberland and then later with the Weirton Area Museum and Cultural Center.
He was graduated from Weir High School and went on to WVU to pursue a degree in History and minor in Public Relations and Italian Studies. While at WVU, he worked for the National Park Service in Richmond, Virginia at the city’s Civil War sites. Paul graduated from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh with a master’s degree in Public History with a concentration in Decorative Arts and Museum Studies. Over the years Paul has worked with the John Heinz History Center in their library and archive, the Fort Pitt Museum, and the Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh. Before returning to the Ohio Valley to take the reins as Executive Director of Historic Fort Steuben, Paul was operations manager with the West Virginia Humanities Council and served as the Executive Director of the Historic Craik Patton House, a historic house museum in Charleston WV. For nearly two years, he has been writing a bi-weekly local history column in the Weirton Daily Times and the Steubenville Herald-Star entitled, “History in the Hills.” Paul currently resides in Weirton with his wife Abigail, and four beautiful children.
Hancock County Museum Summer Lecture Series
August 28, 2022
Pamela Makricosta, of Weirton, will share her “Yiayla’s – Grandma’s Bundle” presentation at the Hancock County Museum, 1008 Ridge Ave., New Cumberland, on Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 2:00. Her grandmother survived the 1914 Christian Holocaust of Asia Minor which is present-day Turkey. Pamela is an author, English and Greek language instructor, Weirton Museum vice president, and Literacy & Lifelong Learning Coordinator at the Mary H. Weir Public library. She will also discuss the latest book, Secrets in the Mist.
Mary Zwierzchowski, local historian, author, and Assistant Reference Librarian of the Mary H. Weir Public Library, will be on hand to answer questions about the book, Secrets in the Mist: The History of Brown’s Island which she co-authored with Jane Kraina. She will also be selling and signing the book. The book was published this year on the 50th anniversary of the 1972 explosion that took the lives of 19 men.
The program is free and open to the public. Refreshments will be served after the talk and questions.
At 2:00 on 7-24-22 in the Hancock County Museum, Tom Zielinsky will be recapping The Final Days of Weirton Steel, 2nd Edition, and explaining the truth about the Weirton Steel ESOP and why it didn’t have to happen. This program is free and open to the public , and will be followed with questions and refreshments.
Tom Zielinsky was born in Steubenville, Ohio, and was raised in New Cumberland. After 33 years of service, he retired in 2003 as Senior Director of Information Strategy for Weirton Steel Corporation and retired again in 2013 as technology director for the Hancock County Commission. He has degrees in electronic engineering, computer science, and an MBA from Franciscan University of Steubenville. Author of four books, The Final Days of Weirton Steel was published in 2010, The Final Days of Weirton Steel, 2nd Edition published in 2021, Rockyside, A Forgotten Mining Community published in 2017, and Zalia, Hancock County, West Virginia, Rediscovering a Lost Community was published in 2020. He resides in Weirton with his wife, Patty. They have four children, 10 grandchildren, and two great-grand sons.
The first speaker for the 2022 HCM Summer Lecture Series will be Shannon Giambroni of the Newell Coalition, who will speak on Sunday, June 26th in the Hancock County Museum at 2:00. Her topic will be the history of the Laurel Hollow Park in Newell, WV. She will give a projected PowerPoint presentation, so we are looking forward to some interesting pictures.
Refreshments will be available after the lecture as are tours. Self-guided tours are available both before and after the lecture.
We hope to see you there!
HANCOCK COUNTY MUSEUM LECTURE SERIES
The last in our 2021 Summer Lecture Series will be at the HCM, 1008 Ridge Ave., New Cumberland, on Sunday October 31st at 2:00. Paul Zuros will speak on “Chilling Stories of the Past,” when he will touch on a few spooky stories, some from Steubenville, but most from the WV side of the river, with a ghost story of Colliers, a tale from Three Springs Cemetery, and one from the Pleasant Valley Country Club area. Fred Miller will recount the tale about the man who wanted to be buried both in PA and WV, and how he accomplished that. After these two speak, we will invite the audience to ask questions and to share their scary stories with us.
Refreshments will be available after the lecture, and the event, as always, is free and open to the public, although donations are always greatly appreciated.
The third in the Hancock County Museum’s Summer Lecture Series will be on Sunday,
August 22, 2021 at 2:00 in the Hancock County Museum.
TIMOTHY R. BROOKES, local lawyer and historian, will expound on the saga of Pretty Boy Floyd , enshrined by legends and tales that have given a certain amount of drama that enhanced the facts concerning one of the most famous motorized bandits of the 1930’s.
The public is encouraged to add their stories on the subject at the end of the lecture, and are welcome to tour the museum
Refreshments will be available after the lecture, and it is free and open to the public, although donations are always greatly appreciated.
The second lecture in the Hancock County Museum’s Summer Lecture Series will be at the museum at 2:00 on Sunday 7-25 21.
Tom Zielinsky, renowned local author, will discuss the two towns, north and south, of New Cumberland: Rockyside and Zalia.
Rockyside, a small mining community, was established around 1870 with the building of all the brickyards north of New Cumberland. There were nearly 300 men, women and children on that hillside, in addition to a one-room school and the first local Catholic Church, built in 1904. The hillside was abandoned around 1950.
Zalia, a small mining community, was established around 1830, some 40 years earlier than Rockyside, also with the building of all the brickyards south of New Cumberland. This is where local brick making began. There were nearly 300 men, women and children along this stretch of road, the old West Virginia Route 2. It also had a one-room school and the establishment and building of the First Methodist Protestant Church known as the Union Chapel of Freeman’s Landing.
This area was abandoned around 1970 and was home to a lot of unique businesses.
Everyone can learn a little about the history of these two towns and what they had in common and what their differences were. You will learn about some unique businesses like the Chelsea China Company, New Cumberland Glass Company, and the Cutler Steel Company. Hancock County is very rich in history that needs to be learned and shared.
Everyone is welcome to share their stories about these two small towns and to ask questions after Tom’s talk.
As always, the lecture is free and open to the public, although donations are always greatly appreciated. Refreshments will be served after the lecture.
The Hancock County Museum Commissioners are excited to announce the first lecture in our 2021 Summer Lecture Series. It will be at the museum at 2:00 p.m. on June 27, 2021. Our first lecturer is Mr. Robert Bailey, who will speak on the history of Tomlinson Run State Park. Our visitors are encouraged to share their personal memories of the park and any stories they have heard from others. As always, the public is invited to attend with no charge, and refreshments will be provided after the lecture.
JoAnn Peterson of Kingwood, WV comes to the Hancock County Museum from the WV Humanities Council’s History Alive! Program to present Nellie Bly, pen name of Elizabeth Jane Cochrane. Nellie Bly was a well-known investigative reporter in the late 1800’s who got a job as a reporter with the New York World by succeeding to have herself committed for 10 days to the infamous lunatic asylum known as Blackwell’s Island in NY, with no guarantee of her release. Her newspaper series on the conditions and treatment of the institutionalized women led to public outrage and improvements in the care of the mentally ill. She brought public attention to the plight of women, children, workers and the poor. In November of 1889, she started a highly publicized race around the world to better the fictional Phineas Fogg’s, of the Jules Verne book Around the World in Eighty Days, record. Alone, she sensationally made it in a little more than 72 days. Please call the Hancock County Museum, 304.564.4800 for more information.
Bill and Donna Gray of East Liverpool, OH are famous for having an extensive pottery collection. They have loaned the museum items from local pottery manufacturers such as Chelsea China Co. from New Cumberland, Homer Laughlin China Co. from Newell, Wheeling Pottery Co. from Wheeling, Edwin M. Knowles China Co. from Chester, and Taylor, Smith & Taylor Co. from Chester.
The Homer Laughlin China Co. loaned the museum dinnerware including examples of the WV Governor’s Mansion Four Seasons collection, and examples of Fiesta, Custom Hotel China, Eggshell and Skytone.
These can be viewed on Sundays in September from 1-4 p.m.
or by appointment at any time by calling 304-564-4800